Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Autumn: Impasto Plein air, part 26

How to paint an impasto plein air painting:
1. Find inspiration:  I drove up to Rocky Mountain National Park today in search of autumn color.  I found fresh snow on top of some golden tones.
2. Sketch in with thinned oils to get your composition and plan where your darks are.
3. Enjoy the peace and quiet (except for the tourists that just can't resist taking pictures of you without asking)
4. Stand back and get away from your painting occasionally to get a fresh  perspective.
5. Once I have the colors and values in place, I start painting with my pallet knife, leaving lots of paint swirls.
6. Stop at Starbucks on the way home to congratulate yourself for getting out and painting!

More of my work can be seen online:
(a variety of my work: prints and cards available)
artforconservation.com  
(limited edition canvas giclees)
(some of my artwork on various products)

"Endovalley"

No comments: