|The Kimono 16 x 12" Oil|
|Ethereal 18 x 14" Oil|
In the workshop we had limited use of our OMS-Gamsol which helped keep the air clean with a dozen artists oil painting. I decided to take it to the next level and eliminate the use of all solvents in my studio. I have done some online research and was floored to find that the OMS of choice, Gamsol is far from non toxic. I have had students complain of headaches even though I keep an exhaust fan in the window and an air filter running. Those headaches are now gone.
For cleaning brushes, I found there are plenty of safe options. I wait until I am done with a painting session to clean the brushes I used that day. I use Viva paper towels, or lint free rags to get as much paint off as possible. I found that Murphy's Oil Soap straight from the bottle cleans my brushes just fine. I have also used Gamblin's Solvent Free Gel, Walnut Alkyd medium, Art Treehouse BioBased Thinner, Spike of Lavender and Linseed Oil but I keep coming back to the Murphy's because the cost is lower and it cleans just as well. I do rinse my brushes out with water after cleaning to remove any residue.
For toning a canvas, I use the Walnut Alkyd medium or Spike of Lavender with a little oil paint to knock out the white. I am still experimenting with the BioBased thinner to make sure it's archival.
I offer a Thursday morning Oil Painting class that is now Solvent Free. I just wish I would've made the switch years ago.