Wednesday, August 24, 2016

The Milner-Schwarz house; plein air


In Loveland, Colorado we have a historic treasure: The Milner-Schwarz house.  The Loveland Historical Society has lovingly restored this 1873 brick home and it is now open for the public to enjoy. 
 I have had the pleasure of plein air painting this house a couple of times now.  This  summer, I painted this first original oil, "Little House on the Prairie".   I kept thinking off what it might have been like to live there 140 years ago while I was painting.  They have brought in an old windmill which I wanted to include in my painting.  I noticed the early morning shadow of the windmill on the brick home so decided to capture that.  When I plein air paint, I always try to capture the shadows first as they are fleeting.  This was especially important in this composition as I watched it moved across the house rather 
quickly. 
In the second painting, "Mrs. Milner's Irises", I was draw to the  colorful blooming irises in front of the classic front porch.  The Loveland Historical Society has also planted flower & vegetable gardens around the house along with fruit trees. This painting has some impasto.
These paintings are both currently available for purchase. Contact me for more information.
Little House on the Prairie

Mrs. Milner's Irises


 You can see more of my artwork online: 
Facebook page (open to the public) 

(a variety of my work: prints and cards available)
 artforconservation.com  
(limited edition canvas giclees)
MGiacominiart.blogspot.com

No comments: