Monday, November 24, 2014

Plein air Tuscany: Fuligni vineyards

Brunello De Montalcino
Plein air painting in the Fuligni vineyards
 We decided to venture into the countryside after painting several days at the Fattoria Armena.    We weren't sure how it would work to be able to paint in one of the neighboring vineyards since our Italian speaking skills were minimal.  We headed towards Montalcino.  We visited several beautiful vineyards but were welcomed with open arms at the Fuligni vineyards by the manager Mike Motiu.    We returned the next morning ready to plein air paint.  The grapes were just a few weeks away from picking and absolutely succulent.  I settled in to paint the vineyards and the 'tasting room' and cellar, which was once a monastery.   The difficult part was deciding what to paint as everything was beautiful.
We brought some snacks for lunch and were served their award winning Brunello wine.  When the light faded after lunch,
Mike took us on a complimentary wine tour of the Fuligni vineyards. We tasted and purchased several bottles of their wine.  This is the best wine I have ever had.

In the late afternoon plein air session I painted "Vista" of the patchwork
Tuscan views surrounding me.
I am currently working on a large version of "Brunello De Montalcino" oil painting.  When studio painting I combine photo references with my plein air studies to bring back the essence of my inspiration.
This was the best painting day I have ever experienced, along with the best wine and nicest local Italian we met on our trip.
Brunello plein air
Vista (sold)

You can see more of my artwork online:
Facebook page (open to the public)

(a variety of my work: prints and cards available) 
 artforconservation.com  
(limited edition canvas giclees) 

MGiacominiart.blogspot.com

No comments: