Thursday, April 2, 2020

Lotus progression

It's always best to start with the best reference photo.  My sister took this photo in Thailand.
  The lotus grow 4' tall!  DO take your own reference photos or get permission to use them.
'
I decided to make the painting all about the Lotus flower. I used Phthalo Blue for an under painting.
I find using an under painting (cool for a warm subject & vice versa) helps me focus on the subject, value & composition.  You will also get a lovely sparkle in your oil painting.

In my oil painting classes we learned and experimented with transparent oil colors. After using a permanent marker on a canvas pad , we painted a variety of  straight oil paints over the black mark.  Now you can easily see which colors are transparent. I also started labeling the brand of paints I use as colors can vary by brand.  I love Gamblin,  Winsor Newton & some  WIlliamsburn & Rembrandt brands.


 

I used a limited transparent pallet for this painting but did need to use some white.  I found the perfect pink for this flower using Quinacridone Red


Darks first!

I wanted the mountains suggested in the painting, but not the focus.


Finished painting!
With the current Pandemic going on, I've had to put my home studio classes on hold.   I seriously miss my students!  When things calm down, I'll organize some plein air outings.  Keep painting!

No comments: