Monday, February 17, 2014

Peaceful Pair

8" x 10" oil

Under painting for the above roses
I painted "Peaceful Pair" twice this year.   A friend and fellow artist, Billie Colson was holding her annual fundraiser for Cystic Fibrosis and looking for a variety of rose paintings to be donated and sold to benefit this organization.  I taught my home studio watercolor students how to do a purple underpainting with transparent watercolors.  They could choose my reference or one of their own.  The bottom painting was my donation (sold) at '65 Roses for Cystic Fibrosis' for 2014.
My home studio oil painting students were interested in learning how to paint roses in oil as well. I used the same reference but used Transparent Oxide (oil) Red to get the drawing and values in before I laid a layer of oil on top.  The top two paintings are one in the same, the middle image is the under painting for the "Peaceful Pair" 8" x 10" oil painting on top.  Quite a few of my students donated one or more of their roses paintings, and several sold.  I'm so proud of them!
Watercolor Peace Roses (sold)
You can see more of my artwork online:
Facebook page (open to the public)
(a variety of my work: prints and cards available) 
 artforconservation.com  
(limited edition canvas giclees)

MGiacominiart.blogspot.com

No comments: